Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Burnt Creme v. Creme Brulee

For my birthday this year I decided to make creme brulee. I'm not all that big of a cake fan, but I LOVE European desserts. My mom let me borrow her ramekins and flaming fire gun and so the adventure begin.

Step one: Maddie and I added the eggs and cream into the pan and began heating it. Until we read that in step two you're supposed to beat the egg yolks separately  and just throw away the egg whites. So we go fishing in our cream. We pull out all the yolks--whole, thank goodness--and do our best to pull the slimy whites out of the cream. It was.....a messy experience.....

So now that step one and step two are slightly messed up and combined, we trudge on. We debated throwing it out and starting over, but decided to continue on. Cooking is all relative, right? There are many paths to the same destination. Heat the cream, mix it into the eggs, divide it into the ramekins. Bake for 25 minutes. Except the timer accidentally gets turned off.....so they cook until I, being master-judge-who-has-never-made-creme-brulee-before decides to take them out. And they cool for a couple of hours.

Then is the exciting part! Sprinkle some white sugar on the top and turn on the flaming gun!!! You fire the sugar until it melts and then becomes a beautiful, hard, caramel brown crust. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Now its time to eat my beautiful creation. I take my spoon and *pop* it on the sugar crust, making it crack. I dig in my spoon and taste the delicacy.

It tastes....eggy. Like a gooey scrambled egg with caramelized sugar on top.

SO DISAPPOINTING!!!!  I guess I should've started over once I realized I had added the eggs wrong. Oops.

I leave this challenge for another day. I WILL CONQUER IT THOUGH!!! I WILL MAKE THE PERFECT CREME BRULEE! (This is the cliff-hanger ending all readers hate. Too bad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment