Friday, June 15, 2012

Being a Daughter of God

During my time at the temple and driving for a few hours this week I have been contemplating the role of women and the relationship with God and His daughters. I felt like I really needed to write it all down since it is very important to me, and I want to always remember what impressions I have received. I do want to be clear that I DO NOT believe that women are better than men. I believe they have absolutely equal worth and potential. However, I also fervently believe that their roles and their responsibilities are unique from each other. Also, their relationships with God are different. Neither is superior. Both have their divine worth. This week my impressions emphasized the position of women, which is why I am focusing on us. 




While watching temple workers search out endowed priesthood holders to perform baptisms (since there is always a scarcity of endowed men in the baptismal area, considering most people doing baptisms are un-endowed girls) I was impressed with the thought of the different responsibilities God has given men and women. I remember a time when I was little that I felt a bit resentful that women couldn't hold the priesthood. As I watched men perform baptisms in the temple, I was filled with God's love for His daughters. I don't know how to express the feeling that I had. I believe that God very carefully chose the responsibilities He would give His sons and daughters according to their purposes. While women could be equally capable at controlling the administration of the Church, I feel like God wanted us to focus on a different purpose. He didn't give us those responsibilities so that we could be blessed with focusing on our other responsibilities--caring, loving, raising, beautifying, care-taking. He did this because of His love for His daughters and His faith in their ability to positively influence the earth. We may not hold administrative powers within the Church, but that does not limit our ability to have influence and power. In fact, in my opinion, it allows us to even better fulfill our potential in our unique role.

God loves His daughters. I cannot express how well and clearly I feel His love for me. I have heard from married couples that one of the most interesting things you learn about God through marriage is His differing relationship with daughters verses sons. I like to compare it to the family relationships between children and fathers on earth. Let's face it, dads have a soft spot for their little girls. Dads are protective, loving, strong, and kind to daughters. According to psychologists, a great predictor of a girl's self-confidence is her relationship with her father. It is different for dads and sons. The position there is for the father to teach, love, and instruct. A father wants to mould his son into a good man, and this sometimes takes being strict, giving responsibility, and having confidence in sons. Now displace this onto our relationship with God. God loves His daughters. He often seems to be gushing forth love, confidence, faith, and strength into me. He fills my life with blessings and joys that I couldn't have dreamed up. I cannot comprehend how great His love is. But I know that it is real big. He definitely loves His little girls. He respects them for their hopes and love and potential. He wants us all to have every joy possible, and is going to walk beside us as we find our way, as long as we let Him. 

My next thought is that God must be awfully disappointed in men and women today. I imagine He is quite angry at people who mistreat His daughters. At the same time I think He must be very disappointed in us for the way we treat ourselves. If he could sit down all of His little girls, I think He would say--Why have you forgotten who you are? Don't you know that you are my daughter, a daughter of Divinity, with the potential of a Queen? You are the daughter of God, and yet you let people mistreat you. You let people tell you your worth is based on such stupid things like physical looks, grades, ability, or position. Do you know what you are capable of? Don't you know who you are, what you are worth to me, and what you are capable of becoming?--And after such a humbling lecture, I think He would hug each daughter tightly. (And every daughter would ball, because its what we do, ha ha.) I think He wants His love to penetrate our souls so that we will behave like the Daughters that we are.


Being a Daughter of God means having courage. It means being brave enough to love people deeply and dedicate yourself to taking care of them. It means not needing plastic surgery to believe you're beautiful. It means being beautiful without being immodest. It means being confident that you are successful and talented even if you don't have a big career and big money. These are the things I want to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment