Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Building up Stara Zagora


This week flew by so fast! I feel like I learned tons which is always a good thing.

We had exchanges with the sister trainers and I got to work with Sister Wild which was so fun! I love her! She's from England, she's older than the other sisters, and she is a FANTASTIC missionary. I want to be just like her.

Sister Wild taught me about what it means to work for real growth on the mission. We're not only here to bring people in, we're also here to make the branch stronger. I've been organizing the primary, finding members to help me teach, planning fun activities, and its been really fun! Zarko prayed for the first time yesterday which I count as success because he's kind of a little rebel. Little Ina, his sister, is an angel. I really want her to grow up in the Church because she would just be such a strength to the Church. There is such an advantage to growing up in the Church because its easier to believe and accept things when you're a kid, rather than have to change your way of thinking when you're older.

I'm also trying to organize Young Women's for Elena, who's 16 and was baptized this spring. I absolutely love Elena and she loves me too which is good. We're going to start having fun activities twice a month so she can invite her friends and we can teach them. I'm really excited. I realized that I really do love teenagers and working with the youth. I'm extremely excited to be a young women's leader someday! Right now I'm kind of primary teacher, young women's teacher, pianist, activities director, visiting teaching coordinator, and missionary. So in the future, any calling is going to be a pinch!

Sister Wild also taught me about consecration of all of our talents and time. We were given everything we have in order to share it with others. It made me realize that my whole life I need to recognize and develop my talents, and then prayerfully use them to bless the lives of others around me. I think we all have lantent talents that are just sitting around when we could be using them to bring more beauty to the world, our families, and the Church.

This week I also realized that I am completely spoiled! I have always had a house, food, and a supportive family. After talking with these people, I feel so awful and spoiled. So many of the members and investigators are hungry with no food, about to get kicked out of their apartments, some don't have electricity, they're literally living on the edge. I wish I could eat half as much and move into a cheaper apartment in order to give the extra money to these starving, poor people! I'm so spoiled! Never in my life am I EVER going to be able to feel sorry for myself. I am extremely blessed and pampered.

It is now HOT in Stara Zagora although there were a couple rain storms this week. I don't know the temperature, I just know that it is pretty hot. We got to go out to selo/village to visit a member baba, and we helped her pick cherries off of her tree which was funny. Ha ha, climbing a ladder in a skirt to pick cherries was not what I was planning on doing, but oh well. We divided up the cherries and brought them to all of our poor friends.

Last Monday we went to a really beautiful cathedral in a little town (Shipka, if you want to look it up) which was amazing. We also climbed a mountain to go to an enormous deteriorating structure that was a communist headquarters. Its called Busluzhba. We went in, and it is enormous! It looks like a big space ship, and the inside is full of mosaics. It was really creepy and cool. We went with 6 Elders and they crack me up, they're so funny.

And that's all the news from this week. There is so much work to do and so we just keep on taking baby steps. The Church here is going to grow! Everyone here might think that we're a cult right now but its going to grow! I have hope of there being a stake in Stara Zagora someday. Someday......

Love you!
Sestra Stenquist

1 comment:

  1. thank you for your love here for the people in Bulgaria and allyou are doing grow the Kingdom of God on Earth! you are an example of a great servant to me!
    regards,
    Stoyan

    ReplyDelete